Buy this domain.
Another Study Finds Link Between Diacetyl, Popcorn Workers Lung | cialis online

Another Study Finds Link Between Diacetyl, Popcorn Workers Lung

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

A study has shown that the inhalation of vapors from diacetyl – the chemical used to give snacks like microwave popcorn a buttery flavor – can cause lab mice to develop a lung disorder that is a precursor to Popcorn Workers Lung. The study, conducted by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), examined the acute toxicity of inhaled diacetyl in rats, and compared different exposure patterns. It was one of the very first studies to evaluate the respiratory toxicity of the chemical flavoring agent at levels relevant to human health. The researchers found that diacetyl — including just its vapors — can injure lungs.

In the study, lab mice were made to inhale diacetyl vapors over a three month time period. The mice developed lymphocytic bronchiolitis — a potential precursor of Popcorn Workers Lung. None of the mice, however, developed that disease. Diacetyl is easily vaporized at temperatures used in microwave popcorn production, which results in high concentrations in the workplace. The researchers concluded that diacetyl, a chemical that gives microwave popcorn its butter flavor, needs further study so that workers in the flavorings and snack industry are no longer at risk of the fatal disease.

In 2003 and 2004, NIOSH found an association between the toxic substance and the development of Popcorn Workers Lung among hundreds of workers at six Midwestern popcorn factories. Last April, the CDC reported that workers at food flavoring factories, as well as popcorn plants, were at risk for the disease.

Popcorn Workers Lung is a potentially life threatening ailment, for which the only cure is a lung transplant. The disease was thought to be limited to people working in the flavorings industry. But last July, Dr. Cecile Rhodes informed the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) that one of her patients had contracted the disease. The patient had been consuming several bags of butter-flavored microwave popcorn on a daily basis for at least 15 years. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), this is the first report of Popcorn Workers Lung in a consumer. That victim has since filed a lawsuit against the company that produced the microwave popcorn he favored.

In 2007, several makers of microwave popcorn, including ConAgra, General Mills and American Popcorn Co., took steps to remove diacetyl from their products. There has also been a movement to convince federal regulators to police the use of diacetyl in the workplace, but those efforts have had mixed results. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), which sets limits on how much of a dangerous substance a worker can be subjected to, said in 2000 that it had no standards for the flavoring and that it wasn’t a problem because the FDA considered diacetyl “safe.” For its part, the FDA has maintained that it has no jurisdiction to evaluate hazards posed by breathing vapors from food additives. It was only last year that OSHA started to investigate diacetyl exposure in snack food industry workers, and that agency is expected to look into setting standards for workers next month.

« »

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.




Defective Johnson & Johnson Depuy ASR Hip Implants

The Johnson & Johnson Depuy ASR Hip Implant is suppose to last 15 years, but can fail in only a few years after surgery. Victims with faulty hip implants endure excruciating pain, pain in the groin, death of tissue in the hip joint and loss of surrounding bone. GET ALL THE FACTS NOW! CLICK HERE!

CAT Scans Radiation Exposure

If you had a CT or CAT scan and now have a band of missing hair, skin reddening or any other problems possibly related to a radiation overdose, you may have been exposed to much radiation due to incorrect settings on these machines. CONTACT US TODAY!

Water Contamination From Fracking

Hydraulic Fracturing of Fracking a way to extract natural gas from shale is contaminating water supplies across the country. Get the facts to keep your drinking water safe for your family.

Overexposure to PCBs

Many people unknowingly have been exposed to high levels of PCBs. Recently 3 schools in NY City were found to have dangerous levels of PCBs throughout. Many workers for Monsanto, General Electric, and Westinghouse were exposed to high levels of PCBs. PCBs are a dangerous toxic substance that doesn't break down easily and can cause chloracne, bleeding and neurological disorders, liver damage, spontaneous abortions, malformed babies, cancer, and death. GET THE FACTS!
Overexposure to

Great Photography

Tallis Photo, the number one photographer for great corporate, wedding, and special occasion photos. CONTACT US TODAY!

Poligrip Lawsuit

Super Poligrip or Fixodent May Cause Nerve Damage. 800-LAW-INFO

Personal Injury Lawyer Nassau County

If you or someone you love was injured CONTACT US TODAY!

Nursing Home Blog

When a loved one is abused at a nursing home, it is time to take action. STOP nursing home abuse!

Car Accident Lawyer Nassau County

If you or someone you love was injured in an auto accident CONTACT US TODAY!

Suffolk County Auto Accident Lawyer

If you or someone you love was injured in an auto accident in Suffolk County, NY CONTACT US TODAY!

Don't Be Denied Veterans Benefits

If you or someone you love was denied veterans benefits CONTACT US TODAY!

Oil Rig Spills Lawyer

Oil Rig Spills harm the environment and cause heavy losses to coastal game and fishing industries, as well as a loss of waterway usage, resulting in a loss of income to individuals and businesses, and a loss of beach front usage. Don't let a spill cause you harm, CONTACT US TODAY!

Whistle Blower

Stand up and say what you think is right. See something, say something.